Getting Legal Help

In minor traffic and civil infraction cases, you have the right to be represented by an attorney of your choice at your own expense. In such minor cases, defendants and respondents are not entitled to a court-appointed attorney. The Oregon State Bar’s Lawyer Referral Service can be useful if you need help finding an attorney.

Court clerks can provide you with information about entering a plea, making a payment, requesting a court trial, and other court procedures, rules and practices.  However, they are prohibited by law (ORS 9.160) from giving legal advice including:

  • Speculating about how the judge might decide your case;
  • Advising you what to say in court or in court forms; or
  • Recommending one procedure or form over another.